An essay on how do I pick a good roomate gives the reader information on the best tips and tricks to choose the right roommate. It is often challenging to decide on a potential roommate since they are sometimes total strangers whom you do not know a lot about. There are a few things you need to consider before settling on a person to share your living space with, whether or not you are a student. You will need a person who is a good match, someone you are comfortable staying at home with, and one who has the financial aid to help with the rent.
Below are some tips that can help you identify a potential roommate;
Tips on How to Identify a Potential Roommate
There are many channels that you can use to find a potential roomie for a two-bedroom apartment. Social network sites like Craigslist and Reddit are just some sites that you can use to reach out to potential roommates. With all these channels available, here are some important factors that can help you with finding a new roomie;
- Advertise your roommate search online- Social media has helped to make the search easier and to create a perfect match between people with shared interests. The best advantage comes when you post on different sites like Facebook, Craigslist, and Reddit. Always ensure that you include pictures of the apartment that you are advertising, the rent you expect your roommate to chip in, and finally give information about yourself. Also, make sure you are careful when reaching out to potential roommates online.
- Find roommates from your social circle- Good Friends from your social circles are good since you know them well. A good friend can provide references for finding the best roommates since they know you well enough, they know your work schedules and your lifestyle. If you meet someone through a friend, you will already have something in common.
- Find out if they have the financial aid to help with the rent- Money is an essential aspect when renting an apartment with another person. Renting an apartment together usually means that you will both be jointly responsible for paying the rent. After meeting a potential roommate, it is always wise to do a background check on if they can meet their financial responsibilities before selecting them. The credit check is important since it can tell you ahead of time if they can help with the rent.
- Interviews- Multiple interviews are always important since it gives you a chance to learn from their body language and find out if you are compatible with the other person. It is always a big deal to learn about their living habits, if they have any pet peeves, if they can pay the rent, and about their lifestyle so that you can know if the two of you will not always be on the other’s toes. If there is a big difference between your habits, then that can be a deal-breaker for both of you.
- Give yourself time when looking for a new roommate- When you look for a roommate, always give yourself time so that you do not decide on the wrong roommate. This will ensure you have a good time to do a thorough criminal background check, find out their regular cleaning schedule, know if they like loud music, if they can pay rent, and any other red flags that you can miss if you choose hastily.
Know What You Want Out of your potential roommate search
If you want to know what to expect from your roommate, an interview might be your best shot to do this. It will help you filter out the best out of the several roommate applications that you have. The interview will help you elicit the person’s reaction and expectations and this will give you a chance to see any red flag that might come up.
The disconnect might come up if one of you wants a new BFF, and the other prefers social distancing in a living situation. The idea of an interview gives you a chance to pay attention and see if there is a good sign to choose someone over any other.
Make Sure that Temperaments Match
Living with someone whose temperaments match yours is vital since this will help you know you can comfortably co-exist in your living space and that you have shared interests. The relationship between roommates usually weighs heavily on if their temperaments match, since you can understand their behaviors, individual differences, develop strategies to deal with any issue that might arise while living together.
Make Sure Your New Roommate Can Pay their Share of the Rent
Money is essential when you want to answer the question of how do I pick a good roommate. The point of finding a roommate is to get someone to help you pay the rent. This gives you the financial responsibility to do your due diligence in finding out if the person you want to choose has the capacity to help with this issue.
College students usually fall victim to this since they most always choose to live with their best friend. This is quite risky since friends are not the most honest people with money and they can take advantage of the fact that you are friends to not help with the rent. Before signing an apartment lease, make sure you can rely on the other person to pay their bills.
Similar Cleaning Habits
It is usually said that cleanliness is next to godliness, but this is not usually the case for everyone. A person’s definition of cleanliness varies a lot between people. When writing an essay on how do I pick a good roomate, a person’s own Cleaning habits are always deal-breakers for most people since issues like dirty dishes, rodent infestations, and their own personal hygiene can be frustrating.
Talk to a potential roommate about their usual cleaning habits and if they make their bed every day to get an idea of their hygiene habits. Share your cleaning habits with them too so that you can see if you can be able to live with each other harmoniously.
Their Personal habits
Habits like smoking, hobbies, bedtime, and socializing are also beneficial to find out when writing an essay on how do I pick a good roomate. Most people are repelled by someone who smokes and if this is a deal-breaker for you, it would be good to find out before settling on someone. Their bedtime routines and social habits should also play a role when deciding since you would not prefer someone who socializes a lot or who does not socialize at all. Their personal habits should be essential when settling on a roommate.
Ask for as many details as you can about them
Details about the potential roommate’s life can come in quite handy since you can get a feel for their lifestyle. Things like relationship status, family, financial background, and work status are all important factors to consider when you want to answer the question how do I pick a good roomate. Talk with your potential roommate to find out about all these things so that you can know a little about their life and preferences.
Step By Step to finding a Perfect roommate
Below are the steps to finding the perfect roommate in an essay on how do I pick a good roomate;
- Start by looking early.
- Advertise online and physically for a potential roommate.
- Filter out and shortlist the best candidates for the roommate position.
- Hold several interviews with the short-listed candidates to get details about their compatibility with your requirements.
- Do financial and background checks on the short-listed candidates.
- Hold final interviews for the second short-listed candidates.
- Offer a contract to the best-chosen candidate that you have seen has met your requirements.
Make a list of potential roommate qualities
There are those desirable qualities that a roommate should meet before you choose. Mentioned below are some of the desirable qualities;
- A roommate should be honest.
- Have a clean criminal record.
- A person who has good cleaning habits.
- A person with a good financial record.
- A roommate with some form of income.
- A person who matches your temperament.
- A roommate should practice good habits.
The 10 few questions to ask potential roommates to get a good match
Below are ten questions that you should ask a potential roommate;
- Is the roommate able to help pay the rent?
- Do they have a job or have any form of income in case they are a student?
- What are their cleaning habits like?
- Do they have any hobbies?
- Do they smoke or drink alcohol?
- Do they have any references to their roommate applications?
- Is the roommate social or do they not like being social?
- Do they own any pets?
- Are they in a romantic relationship?
- Do they have any pet peeves?
Easy Ways to Be a Good Roommate
A good roommate is one who;
- Is considerate of the other person’s interests in accordance to their own.
- Has good hygiene habits like showering, washing dishes, and cleaning their surroundings.
- Learns the other person’s schedule and know how to live around them.
- Is completely honest with the other person.
- Is one who respects the other person’s belongings.
What Makes Up a Bad roommate?
In an essay about how do I pick a good roomate, include the qualities of a Bad roommate to compare them to the good qualities. Some of these terrible qualities are;
- Brings guests without notifying the other roommate
- Steals the other roommate’s stuff like electronics.
- Abuses drugs without control.
- Does not practice good hygiene habits.
- Is dishonest about his intentions.
To Sum It Up
When writing an essay on how do I pick a good roomate, it is good to note the various tips and aspects you should consider before getting a person to live with. Whether you are a student or a person who is working, there are specific steps that you should consider when finding a roommate. Advertising online, getting friends to suggest roommates, and getting references from parents are all good ways that you can get a good roommate.
Before deciding on the roommate, have interviews with them, ask them about their lifestyle and get to know them a little bit, and be on the same page on issues. Do your due diligence by doing background checks and financial backgrounds to find out if they can be able to fit into your lifestyle.
For more information on this essay and any other topics that you are interested in, visit our website Galaxygrades.com. In case you have assignments you need help with, Order now. We are here to help!